Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Graveyard Book

When I studied abroad in London last semester, I lived in an area just North of central London called Highgate. Highgate Village is at the top of Highgate Hill, and it is a lovely area with many green places and a mixture of quaint and grand old architecture. It has become home to several British celebrities, which makes it a spot of interest to tourists. But more than anything else, Highgate is famous for its cemetery. As I was reading The Graveyard Book, I could not help but associate my memories of Highgate Cemetery with Bod's graveyard. The similarities are all too striking. I wonder if Neil Gaiman, as a British man, ever visited Highgate Cemetery. He must have. I have posted some pictures of Highgate Cemetery so that you can compare it with the graveyard in your mind's eye.
I was excited about the setting and context of this book because it made me nostalgic for London and Highgate, but as the story progressed and subsequently ended, I found myself wanting something more from it. Through Bod's misadventures, the reader gets to explore more of the graveyard and meet more of its inhabitants, which is stimulating and fun to read. However, I was hoping that the setting of a graveyard would be providing something cathartic for Bod. His family's murder begins the story, and though he has Mr. and Mrs. Owens for parents and Silas for a guardian, he spends a good deal of time roaming around alone.

I was hoping to find Bod an increasingly contemplative character or that circumstances in the graveyard would force him to return to thoughts of the nature of death, but I never got that feeling. Though Bod grows up surrounded by death, and with a sort of shroud for swaddling clothes, I did not get the impression that he ever fully engaged with the idea of death. Perhaps I was expecting too much from Bod, but I think I am justified in expecting more from Gaiman.

The book does not have pleasant symmetry because Bod's character does not show depth or development (apart from an improvement in speech) nor does Gaiman reconnect Bod's growing up in the graveyard to his views on death. In fact, I would argue that Gaiman sets up a cognitive disconnect regarding how Bod views death: though Bod has been exposed to nothing but the dead and the undead (Silas), he still wants to kill Jack out of revenge for murdering his parents. It does not make sense that a boy that has grown up surrounded by nothing but death (he lives in a graveyard!) would still consider death a tool by which to achieve revenge. Gaiman did not show Bod to be at all resentful of being surrounded by the dead; at most, Bod showed the normal signs of disagreement between child and authority, but it was not inclusive of them being dead. I felt unfulfilled and frustrated at the conclusion of the book as well.

Again, as we discussed in class today, the Jacks and the Honour Guard conjured up a larger scheme into which Bod was destined to play an important role. Unfortunately, this aspect of the story was also not fleshed out. I think Silas would have been a good character to provide further explanations for this larger world of The Graveyard Book, but instead his character remains painfully reserved and guarded. Also, why does Gaiman never come out and say that Silas is a vampire? He labels him as such in every other indirect way, but never actually calls him one. Was he concerned about this book being put in the "vampire book" category?

Though this was an entertaining story, I still feel as though I am waiting for something to happen. I still feel like there are loose ends that need to be tied up. This is certainly not the tidy ending that we get with Holes, but I wonder if Gaiman truly intends this sort of ambiguity in the ending. In our small group discussion today, we were saying how this ending savors of a sequel to come. If one ever does come, I will be interested to read it.

7 comments:

  1. First off, let me say how happy I am that you recognized Highgate too! In the book’s “Acknowledgements,” Gaiman talks about how he took a tour of the Highgate Cemetery and used that partly as inspiration! As I was reading this book, I too, thought about Highgate hill and the cemetery nearby (though I never went inside! Darn!). I really like the pictures you have throughout this blog—very atmospheric!

    I also found Bod a rather flat character considering his unique education and experiences. Shouldn’t he somehow be wiser or more aware of how precious life is, considering he lives with dead people? And now that I think about it, is death really that much of a punishment for the Jacks, seeing as how even the “evil” witch got to come back as a ghost? Couldn’t the Jacks then just haunt Bod’s dreams for the rest of his life? Couldn’t the Jacks that went through the ghoul-gate still do a lot of harm? I suppose they are more harmless as the dead than the living, but I’m not convinced…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing! I think you make some good points about what this story is lacking. I was also bothered by Bod's underdeveloped thinking and reflecting on death, but I had not fully connected it to the kind of reconciliation he should be making with the death of his family. It doesn't really make sense that he would be accepting of death because of his familiarity of ghosts and then would want revenge for the murder of his family's death through more killing. Although, now that I said that, it occurs to me that he didn't actually kill the Jacks. Four of them were sent alive to the ghouls. Some or all of them were probably killed, but they might have just been turned into ghouls as well. And I don't know what exactly the Sleer is doing with Jack Frost, but I don't think he killed him. Either way, however, I agree that Bod's thoughts about death are not nearly as developed as they should be considering his upbringing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that becasue Bod has grown up in a cemetary, death is the only revenge he knows. He has no other ideas of what other type of revenge there is. I also think is is satisfied and dosnt realy struggle with the ideas of death because it is all he has ever known. I like how you linked this place to the book though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like th points you made. But my thoughts about the disconnect between Bods views and his upbringing are these: perhaps the disconnection is present to leas the reader to make the conclusion on his or her own. A syrupy sweet moral character might be too much for readers to give weight to the message.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your pictures. I also see your point in which the idea of death is not fully engaged. I do believe that Gaiman could have made a better novel by engaging more about the differences of death and living. I think if he would not had so many loose ends I would have enjoyed this novel even more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pictures! They do remind me quite a bit of what I was picturing in my mind, though I associated it with the cemetery in my hometown (there are graves from the 1820's). One part I found interesting is how you described Bod's wanting to kill Jack for murdering his family. I would think that he would be more inclined to find death an acceptable factor BECAUSE he is constantly surrounded by it. My friend finds it appalling that I can eat meat. But I live on a ranch and my family has always raised animals for slaughter. I think the more you are exposed to an element to more ordinary it seems to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures! They help me feel more connected to the story! I do feel that this book had a lot of loose ends. Maybe that was the intent - so that readers would feel compelled to know what would happen next in Bod's life.

    ReplyDelete