Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Best: The Hobbit

Greetings Class!

I am Lauren Power, and my favorite children's literature book is The Hobbit. My first grade teacher read it to my class, and I have loved it ever since. I have read it six times now. I saved up my babysitting money to buy this lovely leather-bound edition when I was thirteen. I think that the playful, witty dialogue of the characters and poetic descriptive passages enchanted me as a first-grader. Tolkien's descriptive prowess has only continued to invite me into his fictional landscapes as I have gotten older. I share Bilbo's love of fine things and creature comforts, and identify with his metamorphosis through travel and adventure. After experiencing my own adventures, I have also come to suffer from his rather inconvenient condition of wanderlust.

I am a senior English major with a Religion minor. I just returned from studying abroad in London at the University of Westminster and am still adjusting to our Texas pace of life. During my time abroad I visited many other Western European countries. I have also been to Japan, China, South Africa, and Swaziland through educational and philanthropic programs. Like Bilbo, I was aided by more experienced and wiser figures (teachers and mentors) during my journeys and I treasure the lifelong friendships built through meeting challenges.

For the purpose of experimentation and in the spirit of good humor, I have included a video clip from the 1977 Hobbit animated film (two times). Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. So this is a bit unrelated to your post, but were you the girl living in Furnival last semester? I studied in London last Spring, and I knew Susan Layne said there was only one student from TCU in that dorm in the Fall, was that you?

    Have you read the other LOTR books as well, or just The Hobbit? I've always heard that people have a really hard time getting into that book in particular, so its good to hear something good about it to encourage me to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did live in Furnival last term! I got back from London two weeks ago, and am still adjusting. Furnival was not what I was lead to expect, though I got used to it and learned to call it home. My true love was walking around Central London. What are your thoughts about Furnival and London, and do you still miss it?

    I have read the LOTR series 5 times and find something new every time. I love the writing style, and try not to be too incredulous when other people are turned off by it. Do not be discouraged! I support your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You just got back?! I'm so jealous! I LOVED London! I have to admit that I never made it much past the Tesco in the Furnival area, but on the whole it was fine. I enjoyed walking around Central London as well--but I also thought it was nice sometimes to go "home" to the more suburban area. One of the things I miss the most is the Tube, even if going to school during rush hour was a pain! Oh, and also all the theaters and museums! There were so many more interesting ways to spend an evening than just going to the movies or something. Did you travel much outside of London?

    ReplyDelete